Built in 1925, The Professional Building is an eight-story Chicago-style office building featuring Beaux Arts terra cotta ornamentation. The yellow vertical striated brick serves to offset the white of the terra cotta ornamental elements. In 1983, this monumental Neo-Classical building was added to the National Register of Historic Places. Its location on the corner creates a strong and imposing relationship with Nash Square across the street.
After construction, the building was primarily leased to physicians and dentists, but many North Carolina corporations also leased space throughout its long history. In April of 2022, Empire Properties purchased the historic building. Today, the Professional Building is home to retail tenants while the upper floors house a variety of professional office tenants.